Corsi base e avanzato per la creazione ebook: Genova e Torino La tua libreria
Scegli la tua newsletter
facebook

Squeezing audio samples into Arduino memory

I digitized 6 seconds of a guitar string sound, on a single channel (i.e. monophonic) using a 44.1 kHz sampling rate, so the digitized sound contained:

44100 samples/s * 6 s = 264600 samples

Each sample from my PC audio interface is stored into 16 bits (2 bytes), so the total amount of memory required is:

264600 samples * 2 bytes = 529200 bytes

Ooops, the Arduino Uno microcontroller only has 32 KB of Flash memory… and that has to include the program too!

Not good. A compromise is needed: the art of optimization is about finding the best trade-off among conflicting requirements.

Audio budget cuts

The first obvious thing to do is to reduce the size of a sample: using 8 bits instead of 16 bits halves the required memory. The sound quality will suffer (more on this later) but in a sense it would be fitting for a ‘retro’ project on an 8-bit microcontroller. However:

264600 samples * 1 byte = 264600 bytes

It would still require way too much memory, so I could reduce the sampling rate from 44.1 kHz to 22.05 kHz:

22050 samples/s = 22050 bytes/s * 6 s = 132300 bytes

No way to fit these into the available 32768 bytes (minus the memory used by the program), so I must also reduce the duration of the digitized audio.

Here it is convenient to reason backwards: how much Flash memory can I spare to contain the guitar sound?

The player program will be small, probably a few kilobytes. If I reserve 8 KB for the program, the guitar sound must fit into the remaining 24 KB, i.e. 24576 samples at most.

What would be the duration of a digitized sound made of 24576 samples, played out at 22050 samples/s?

24576 / 22050 = about 1.11 s

I actually chose a sligthly different compromise: I kept the original 44.1 kHz sampling frequency and further halved the playing time:

sampling rate: 44100 Hz
numer of samples: about 24000
duration: about 0.6 s

Keeping a higher sampling frequency, i.e. a more finely defined original signal, helps in reducing undesired effects such as intermodulation distortion (more on this later), in this case at the cost of a shorter sound.

Reshaping a sound with Audacity

I had to shorten the 6-second digitized sound to 0.6-seconds, at the same time trying not to completely lose its  timbric quality: I hoped it could still sound like a sort of guitar string.

I opted to build a ‘half-fake’ guitar sound: I kept only the first 0.6 seconds of the original sound, but I reshaped this shorter sound using the Audacity “envelope” tool to get a faster decay, i.e. the decreasing of volume with time:

shaped string sound in Audacity

The net effect of this operation is that the sound is much shorter than the original, but its volume shape (the ‘envelope’) is similar. Also note how I cut off the ending with a final, faster decay when the allotted time is about to expire.

Listen to the reshaped sound:

It sounds more or less like the string of a cheap guitar, whose sound is dampened with a fingertip after a little while. The guitar from which I took the original sound was deeply offended, but it could be worse.

Next time: how to play this sound at different frequencies, to produce the desired notes.

 

10. May 2015 by Erix
Categories: Arduino, Firmware / embedded, Learning | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *